DBJR - GrandmasterJ

 

    Explore a massive bedroom and office and find a bunch of secrets. Players get lots of weapons and low gravity to make navigation much easier. 

SCMapDB page

Author: Fourth Letter

Date of release: 2003

Maps in package: 1

Map review of DBJR

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by GrandmasterJ | April 30, 2023 | 4136 characters

    I'm a big fan of rats maps, maps where the map is so big the players feel like they are very small. This rats map has the gravity turned down low and longjump given to players on map start, so it's pretty easy to get around.

    We start off in a big room and begin to explore. I guess I am just naturally suicidal because the first place I checked out was the fan cord plugged into an outlet, which will gib players if they get near it. Right next to that is a teleporter to the top of a computer from where we can survey the room. A paper airplane makes loops in mid-air, the long jump really helps in getting on top of that airplane. There is a point where it comes down low and close to an edge so players can have an easy time getting on it.

    From on top of the computer I can see three areas of interest, a button above the room door, an open closet with stuff on the top shelf, and a dresser with a teleporter on top. My teammate and I went to the closet first and found a bunch of buttons up there. These buttons will spawn enemy waves, but be warned, there is a wave of male assassins that will mess players up and since players spawn in the room with no cover they will start to get spawn killed as well. There are buttons behind a cage and we don't really know how to access those.

    I could not for the life of me press the button above the door. I kept jumping up there and even noclipped but wasn't able to. My teammate used tripmines and somehow that worked, all it did was shake the screen and display the words 'shake, shake'. If it did anything else I don't know about it.

    The teleporter on top of the dresser takes us to another room altogether, this one has more computers and an HEV charging station. There is another teleporter to the top of the PC in the main room here. There is some fun detail here but not much to interact with.

    I found myself getting bored really early in this map, there just isn't a lot to do. So I started noclipping around and there were a bunch of things I missed. The dresser is hollow and has two buttons inside, I pressed them and got what looked like coordinates but nothing else appeared to happen. I have no idea how to get in there legitimately. There were other inaccessible rooms, like one with snarks in the secondary room. This is definitely a secret map that has withheld its secrets from me. Or maybe its all broken, there is no way to tell without the map being demonstrated for me.

    As for the player inventory, we start with quite a few weapons including the rpg, a fully loaded M16 with underbarrel grenades, crossbow, snarks, satchels, and hand grenades to name a few. This helps us fight the waves of enemies and keeps us from having to hunt for a better arsenal. At first I thought there was no ammo in the map but I found it all while noclipping, its well hidden.

    I really like this map but it gives me this nagging, annoying feeling that I get when I KNOW I missed a bunch of stuff. But I give up, it is either hidden too well or broken in some way. The combat, when it happened, was pretty fun and the starting inventory really helps with that. But players also spawn out in the open and it can create annoying situations where players are constantly dying on respawn. There is a lot to explore and find and the low gravity with the long jump makes a lot of fun platforming opportunities.

Pros:

  • Rats maps are always fun
  • good starting loadout
  • low gravity and long jump combine to form the ideal locomotion for rats maps
  • I really liked the paper airplane and it was helpful to navigate the map

Cons:

  • The secrets are either hidden too well or broken, its really hard to tell from a player's viewpoint
  • the human enemy wave spawn kills players constantly
  • some buttons either do very little or has their purpose so obscured they appear to do nothing
  • half the enemy wave buttons are locked off and we don't know how to unlock them
Score: 6 / 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

Zombie Squad - Dunkelschwamm

Dark Seekers - Dunkelschwamm