Ragemap - GrandmasterJ

 

    Do you like to rage? The Ragemap is a community driven effort where many authors contribute parts of a map. The result is a crazy patchwork of different ideas with something new to see around every corner.

SCMapDB page

Authors: A1win, Archanor, cold_blood3d, Crapaccino, cyberdaemon, Dred_furst, Dynamite, El Gringo, Fourth Letter, Frostbite, BlueFeena, g1l, Hezus, JPolito, Killer12137, Mr. Mazur, Nih, Police L.T., cSMG, Puchi, Qwerty, SharkMan, Silencer, Slay, The_6th_Monkey, WAR_Nuker

(Due to the number of authors and the page tag limit of 20, not all authors are tagged)

Date of release:2007

Maps in package:1

Map review of Ragemap

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by GrandmasterJ | February 26, 2023 | 3839 characters

    I've never played a ragemap before this so I was pretty excited. It went more or less like I expected, a wild shifting landscape with all sorts of stuff to see and do. Every room offered something new.

    I suppose the 'rage' part of this map is due to the various sections where players tend to die a lot. There is one part where there is a big face with an arrow pointed at it that will accelerate players towards it's open mouth. It doesn't work perfectly and can be very finnicky to get just right. My teammate was looking for an alternate route but I just tossed my corpse into the maw again and again until the correct combination of jumping and crouching got me in. There is another section where players need to cross a gap filled with spinning debris and need to get the long jump from a room filled with respawning alien grunts. It got tot he point where I wasn't even attacking the grunts, I was just trying to rush in and out as fast as possible to get the longjump. Even on times when I didn't die I still sometimes bounced off the spinning debris.

    The map isn't all rage though, there are actually a tons of quality of life additions. There was one platforming section that I was particularly bad at, but the floor teleported players back to the start. I was able to recklessly throw myself at the problem again and again with a minimum of rage. The spawn points also update frequently, I eventually passed that platforming section when my teammate hit a spawn point update and I promptly killed myself. In the latter half of the map a spawn point was not deactivated when the new spawn point was triggered, this caused us to spawn in two separate areas. The new spawn point must have only had one player spawn because most of the time we started at the previous spawn point, which was before the long jump gap with the spinning debris. We got to the next spawn point and we started spawning at that one more frequently than the old one but we still spawned at the old one and had to suicide to try again.

    Not all spawn points had the same amount of supply as well. There were some times when we would have HEV and some times when we wouldn't. Shotguns and mp5s are standard, but grenades, uzis, egon guns, revolvers, tripmines, and the long jump drift in and out of the map and our lives. There is a weapon stripper at one point that knocks us back to just shotgun and mp5.

    There was a lot to see in this map. There was some Black Mesa looking stuff which I wasn't too impressed with but there was also weird architecture with Xen textures that looked kinda neat. There was a pitch black hallway with a red line up top that we had to follow, that was kind of annoying. There was also the big crazy face I mentioned earlier which looked great. The big penis wasn't that impressive. We saw it in a room barely big enough to hold it, like a penis shack. But the map had variety, incredible variety of visuals and architecture but also gameplay. This map is a whirlwind.

    I really enjoyed this map. I think the only time I raged was when there was platforming or bad spawn point triggers. I was too busy experiencing all this crazy stuff to really be mad at the annoying bits. Play this with a friend, there are a couple of bits that need two people and the combat is better with two.

Pros:

  • Great variety
  • lots of updating checkpoints
  • the good bits looked really good
  • there is HEV and ammo strewn about

Cons:

  • players frequently lose supplies when the spawn point updates
  • One spawn point does not deactivate when the next spawn point turns on, causing big problems
  • the penis was disappointing
Score: 8 / 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

Zombie Squad - Dunkelschwamm

Dark Seekers - Dunkelschwamm