Arena Retrowave - GrandmasterJ

 


    Step into a world of bright colors and synthesized music. Fight colorful enemies with beams of light. Relax amid a horde of enemies.

SCMapDB page

Author: Dr.Abc

Date of final release: 2018

Maps in package: 1

Map review of Arena Retrowave

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by GrandmasterJ | November 27, 2021 | 3166 characters

    This was the first arena map I've played so I didn't really know what to expect going into it. This was probably the best map for my first arena, it is dripping with style and I spent a good portion of the time playing just exploring the many areas of the map.

    I much prefer walkthrough maps or anything where I can make visible progress, which arena maps aren't really good for. This map in particular has a lot going on. In the beginning I was fighting on top of the central building under the mistaken assumption there was some linear path to follow. Eventually I realized I was going in circles and chasing my tail. Later I found out the glowing shafts of lights shoot me up onto the buildings and then I was a master of the terrain. Periodically the map will announce new enemies. This is good for keeping tabs on how much longer you need to fight, I would have not been as eager to play if the end was less well defined.

    The monsters are all glowy neon, the map has a very 80's vibe that reminds me of Tron. It all looks really good. The enemies spawn in just the right amounts and there is a verticality to the map that gives players a lot of power over the enemies.

    I'm not a fan of arenas but this one is all right.

    Edit update 7/19/22: So due to some review shenanigans I revisited this map and looking back on what I wrote I can see I was light on details. So a few things of note: players start out with over 100 health and armor, all the energy based weapons including the egon gun, and wads of energy ammo. This gives players massive staying power and even respawning in a crowd of enemies is more an inconvenience instead of frustrating death. The color scheme not only gives the map a great 80's synth aesthetic but the enemies are also bright and color coded for easy identification in a crowd.

    The result is a map that surrounds players with tons of enemies, but never really gets frustrating. Near the end there will be shock troopers shooting down from above as well as alien controllers flying around, it becomes deadly but doesn't feel unfair. This map really succeeds in making a warzone feel chill. I will say though that there is nothing to do except kill enemies. When all the waves are dealt with a text announcement will pop up saying the map and enemies will go on forever, but I have no desire to keep playing this map past the end.

Pros:

  • Nice style
  • well designed level, verticality is a huge plus
  • enemies continuously spawn in but can be managed and aren't overwhelming, waves are announced
  • players spawn well equipped
  • the color coded enemies helps with target prioritization
  • the music is the cherry on top

Cons:

  • the level layout can be mildly confusing on first glance
  • no real point beyond score or mindless killing. No puzzles, no exploration, just killing.
  • the map goes on forever, no reward for making it to the end

Score: 8 / 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

Zombie Squad - Dunkelschwamm

Dark Seekers - Dunkelschwamm