5 Ways to Die - Dunkelschwamm

  


    This map is a series of rooms with two doors to choose. One path leads to death and the other leads to the next room. There are 5 rooms.

SCMapDB Page

Original mod authors: The Hunter

Conversion authors: CubicVirtuoso

Date of original mod release: 2005

Date of final Sven Map release: 2008

Maps in package: 1

Map review of 5 Ways to Die

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by dunkelschwamm | December 4, 2021 | 1514 characters

    I'm not sure I understood the intent of this level. I think it was like, you had a coin-flip chance each room to die depending on your choice. I just happened to choose right each time and survived to the end- left, left, right, left- then you throw a grenade at a barney surrounded by trip mines, jump behind a blast shield, and the level is over. That was the extent of my experience. I believe my friend who made different choices than the ones I made as I went forward was killed by level geometry or something.

    Was very short, very fast. I don't have a strong opinion about this either way. The brushwork is entirely unremarkable. I think this map probably sells itself largely on being the execution of an odd and simple concept, which I guess worked out, but made for a very short and unimpressive map.

    If you have a server which has a lot of short, strange maps in its rotation, you could try throwing this one in- through it'd be low in the list if you were to ask me.

Pros:

  • I guess the concept is kinda novel.
  • I liked the bit with Barney and the grenade, even if it was kinda weird

Cons:

  • I just kinda walked to the end of the map and threw a grenade and won
  • No replayability
  • The concept doesn't execute in a way that's very interesting to take part in or watch unfold.

Score: 4.5 / 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

What is this place and why should I care?

Bossrush - GrandmasterJ