1742 - Dunkelschwamm

 


    1742 is a historically themed map complete with redcoats vs. . . .some other army, I don't remember. The map looks great but unfortunately does not seem to work properly.

SCMapDB page

Author: Sence

Date of final release: 2011

Maps in package: 1

Map review of 1742

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by dunkelschwamm | November 27, 2021 | 1824 characters

    I'm really not sure what to say about this one. On the outside, it looks like an ambitious map: there are custom models, the map opens on a cutscene, there is a clear attempt to create a unique mod atmosphere and style all to itself, and there is a fairly impressive battle setup which plays out with varying levels of success.

    As my friend and I attempted to play, one of us has a gun and the other did not- this made little difference, as he was unable to fire the weapon anyway. The battle commenced and we were separated by an invisible wall from the action. A wave of bluecoats overran the redcoats. After this action grinded to a halt. We seemed suddenly able to use our weapons, but only for melee. The invisible wall still stood. Confused and attempting to be the catalyst of some sort of progression, I pressed the "kill" key and found myself respawned in a room with an image implying that I had been trolled by losing. My friend and I decided not to continue playing after the situation did not improve.

    I can't tell if I played a map with broken triggers, a map that was deliberately trolling us, or a map that was created as a school project and then repurposed for wider public release. Either way, it felt unfinished, unintuitive, and bizarre. From my experience, I would not recommend this map to anybody.

Pros:

  • Interesting assets to attempt to evoke a unique historical setting.

Cons:

  • Unintuitive instructions mean I'm not sure if the level was broken or I just wasn't playing it right.
  • Either way, it was just a short massacre and then I found the map uncontinuable.

Score: 0.5 / 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

What is this place and why should I care?

Zombie Squad - Dunkelschwamm