101 Grunts - GrandmasterJ

 

    101 Grunts is a very early and simple map with long hallways full of human grunts. You fight a total of 101 enemies, hence the name. Due to the numerical nature of the name of this map series it is the first map that appears on an alphabetical listing of all maps on the map database.

SCMapDB page

Original mod author: Jonathon L. Gower

Conversion author: CubicVirtuoso

Date of original mod release: 1999

Date of final Sven Map release: 2008

Maps in package: 3

Map review of 101 Grunts

(originally posted on SCMapDB)

by GrandmasterJ | November 27, 2021 | 1369 characters

    To be perfectly honest I thought this map was going to suck. But I was surprised that it didn't,

    The gameplay is real simple, run forward in long hallways and kill the HECU grunts. The map description says it all, there are 101 enemies to kill and the game ends when you kill them all.

    I could complain that the levels are bland, nondescript hallways with little to no decoration, but its hard when the map is this straightforward. I was a little annoyed that when I died I had to run through the level again but at the same time my teammate and I were somewhat racing to get to the end and trying to kill as many grunts as possible. It took on a competitive spirit where we competed to tear apart as many grunts as possible and dying was a part of that.

    Overall, I enjoyed it. It's not the best map but it gets straight to the point and doesn't slow down.

Pros:

  • No backtracking, no keys, no puzzles
  • lots of action
  • not too hard, I could probably beat it alone
  • lots of breakable crates

Cons:

  • Few spawn points, if you die you have to run the whole level to get back
  • first level is lacking in guns and ammo
  • no variation
  • ugly architecture

Score: 6 / 10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deluge - Dunkelschwamm

What is this place and why should I care?

Zombie Squad - Dunkelschwamm